Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Online Dating: Does it work?

Whoa! That's a loaded question. And you're sure to get many different answers. So, here goes mine...The simple answer to the question above is YES, but only to a certain point. It depends on what you are looking for and how much time and energy you are willing to devote to developing a friendship/relationship. My history with success has been varied. I have been on several dates with men that I've met online. There were good dates (a few) and not so good dates (many more). I could wax poetic about all the things I've endured on 'online first dates.' As I jog my memory, I recall the caucasian CPA with the salt & pepper AFRO. Then there was the Totally Awesome Guy Who was Shorter than Me; and, who can forget the Marathon Man. I will let your imagination wander on how these guys got their pseudo nicknames.

In closing, I must admit that online dating can be fun. However, the most important thing is to approach it with a clear understanding of what you realistically hope to get out of it. Is it a friend in your head (someone you chat with via e-mail and/or IM); an IRL (in real life) friend; or something fun and playful with no strings attached?

Remember, online dating takes time and energy. So, turn on your monitor, grab your iPod and start making friends, or whatever it is you're seeking, through your favorite online dating site.

Signed,
an Online Dating Veteran

No comments:

wibiya widget